Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bracketology 101 by NYRambler

Here are some things I always look to do in the NCAA Bracket Challenge:

1- 2 8s win round 1, 2 9s win round 1.
2- Always pick at least 1 12 seed to beat a 5.
3- Always pick at least 1 3 seed to go to the Final 4.
4- Big East >>> Everyone Else (for the most part)

That being said, here's how I have my brackets going.

Midwest: My 12 over 5 match takes place here: Arizona over Utah. Arizona was the last team in, but they are still a pretty good team in a tough Pac-10. Utah's a Mid-Major and Mid-Majors were weak this year. Later on, I have 6 seeded West Virginia beating Kansas, and in my first of 2 #1 seeds falling in the Sweet 16, Wake Forest over Louisville. Wake was consistent all year, and don't shoot 3s. So they didn't get a 24-6 record in the second toughest conference by accident. Louisville did win the Big East, but they were never dominant and didn't beat Pitt in the Big East Tournament. In the end, I have Michigan State (Tom Izzo always delivers) coming out of the Midwest

East: All Pitt, All the Time. Villanova will have no problems playing in Philly the first two weeks, then they meet up with an improved but still young Duke team in the Sweet 16. I think 'Nova's experience will prevail. VCU over UCLA is my upset in the first round; I picked VCU 2 years ago over Duke and it worked. I'm not as high on Florida St. as some others are... I have Xavier beating them. Pitt comes out though.

South: Here's where I made some moves to win my bracket pools. I have UNC LOSING to Gonzaga. It's a risk, but I think the Zags are REALLY good. Syracuse showed a lot of heart in the Big East tournament, and I have them coming out of the South, fulfilling #3 of my list.

West: Almost everyone has UConn vs Memphis in the Regional Finals here... and I do too. I think Memphis deserved the #1 seed, and they will show up in their match vs UConn with much more incentive. In the first round, I took my largest upset in the tournament: taking the Super-Hot SEC Champs Mississippi State over the Pac-10s Washington.

Final Four: #2 Michigan State, #1 Pittsburgh, #3 Syracuse and #2 Memphis

Finals: Pittsburgh over Memphis 70-63.

Good Luck.

(Mook Tonight)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the analysis, but I'm trying to imagine a world where Mississippi State is in the Big 12.