Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Skill Series: Razz

First Off, a Shout Out to CP'er and Blogger Lucko21. He's been running Uber-Godmode as of late. I put his Blog Link up with the others, so you can see for yourself, but he took down the Ron Jaworski Charity Tournament for ~20K. Then, tonight, he took down the $129 buy-in KO Tournament on FT, besting WPT and WSOP Bracelet winner Scott Clements, FTOPS II POY GB2005 and Aaron Bartley at the Final Table, including besting Clements Heads-Up for the title.

When the Final Table Started, I was 2nd in Chips. RNallin came into the FT as the Short Stack, and went out in 8th. However, great starting hands doesn't always turn out to be great finishing hands, especially in Razz, when I raised with 6-3-2 and 4-2-A on two hands about 4 or 5 hands apart, and wound up losing due to my opponent catching amazing and me catching, well, as usual, nothing.

Then, after an amazing hand that knocked cemfredmd out in 7th and fellow CP'er Loretta8 out in 6th, I doubled up after my 10-2-A caught better vs. Mondogarage's 5-4-2, where I wound up making a 9 and the best he made was a 10.

Fuel55 was running the hottest leading up to the Final Table, but burned out in 5th.

At this point, the levels were 500 Ante, 1K bring-in, 3K and 6K Limits. And I only had 20K in Chips. So, needless to say, I needed some quality starting hands or good situations to try and double up. My plan was to avoid the Bring-In. Yet I kept having it, even with 5s and 6s.

Another plan was to smooth-call raises, and hope to catch good on 4th while my villains caught bad. That seemed to be working.

JD Schellnutt's 9 beat Mondogarage's 10 to knowck Mondogarage out in 4th. For being the Short-Stack with 7 to go, I'm happy to have made it to 3-handed play.

So I made my stand with 10-9-8 because, well, I really had no choice with my dwindling stack. JD calls me with 10-7-4, and he winds up making a wheel. Go Figure. So I'm out in 3rd, but I take a very respectable (for a $13 buy-in, at least) $95.14, and get some nice Blogger Points for May.

While JD and VinNay battle to take the Skill Series title down, I'm gonna get some rest. Tomorrow's Mookie-day, and another day for the 32K.

-Kenny

1 comment:

JD Schellnutt said...

gg last night. I did catch good a lot...but it was usually going to war with shorties. The hand you had KK on your board and caught good on the river really crippled me. I was lucky to come back. gg and gl.
JD